Friday, November 28, 2008

The Never Ending Bathroom Remodel

Two years ago January 2007 my husband and son tore up our bathroom for a bathroom remodel. Our 1950s era pink and black tiled bathroom was getting a major overhaul. My son was going to work with my husband, and not only learn some handy life skills, but also get a credit for shop! I thought I was being very generous when I gave Joe a year to get it done. So did he. All I asked is that it be done by Christmas. No problem... or so we thought.

The demolition of the bathroom went fairly quickly and was probably fun for the guys. They tore out the dry wall and tiles. Out went the toilet, out went the old vanity and sink, out went the old rusty vanity lights. The tub was a little more challenging, but with the help of our friend Randy it was gone too. We were starting with a totally clean slate!

The first hold up was our heat. If Joe took out the baseboard heat, then he had to turn off the heat for the whole house. So the project was on temporary hold until spring.

But somehow spring came and went and then it was swim team season for the kids and before we knew it, it was August and the bathroom had barely been touched.

It was time to get my husband moving in the right direction. Little did I know, he had been feeling a little overwhelmed and didn't know where to start first. We sat down together and made a list of what needed to be done and he then he was ready to go. We had vacations and weekends booked most of August so the reconstruction began in September, although he went ahead ordered our new beautiful streamlined European baseboard heater.

In September insulation was put into the walls and drywall hung as well as putting in a new ceiling combination vent and light. Then we were able to purchase a new tub and bath surround and that went in by November. But we realized there was so much more to do, there was no way the bathroom would be done by Christmas. At least not Christmas 2007. Drywall mudding and sanding took quite awhile with other smaller projects. By June I was able to paint the walls and did a faux finish using the sponging off technique. It came out quite nice if I do say so myself.

The new tiles were laid in July. New trim was begun in September and the new window and a new toilet were both installed in October. There is light at the end of our tunnel!

The vanity, sink, mirror and vanity lights have all been purchased. I sit here the day after Thanksgiving and have hope of a new bathroom before Christmas 2008. Pictures to come soon.

No comments: