In my morning Bible reading time I have moved from the Gospel of Luke on to the Gospel of John. As I was reading this morning, the words of John the Baptist, in regards to himself and to Jesus, leapt out to me, "He must become greater and I must become less." (John 3:30)
These words kept coming back to me as I continued to read, but not from the mouth of John. No, they kept coming back to me as words I needed to speak. I need to put aside my petty wants and desires and allow Christ to fully dwell in me. He needs to become more in me and my flesh needs to be less.
As I contemplated those words it occurred to me that I need and want to lose about another 25 pounds. This need to be less in the flesh and more in Christ is a physical need as well as a spiritual need. My battle with my flesh is both a physical and a spiritual battle. Not only do I physically need to be less in the flesh, but in my spirit there needs to be less control by my flesh and more by the Holy Spirit. Both require discipline and self-control. Both require turning to God in times of stress or even boredom rather than to food or time-wasting entertainment. Neither of those are bad in and of themselves. Used purposefully and thoughtfully one feeds the body and the other, purposeful re-creation, can feed the Spirit.
It is a daily battle keeping this flesh of mine under control. Over the past year I have lost 25 pounds and have developed a fairly regular habit of devotional Bible reading and prayer time. But I don't want to either lose ground or just be content in staying where I am. He must become more and I must become less. It was a year ago I felt led by the Lord to join Weight Watchers and felt led to pursue the type of devotional reading time that I've established, but its time for higher ground. The Lord has encouraged me much over the last year and through some difficult circumstances in the life of my family and I know He will continue to see me through good and hard times.
But I hear Him giving me a new challenge. The challenge to examine some of my eating habits and to turn to HIM rather than food in times of stress and crisis. If I really want to become less and for Him to become more, on both physical and spiritual levels, I need to find comfort in Him and not comfort foods. And when I am overwhelmed with my tasks at hand I need to turn to Him to look for direction, not distraction in mindless activities. My flesh doesn't want to become less, so it will be a battle, but it is a battle I can win through Christ.
No comments:
Post a Comment